Friday, July 15, 2011

Drink 160: Never Neverblog

Peter Pan Cocktail
Garnish with a faerie
Lately I have been having a little trouble coming up with topics for the blog.  You may have noticed that the frequency has dipped a little over the last two weeks. The quality, of course, is as sterling as ever. Hopefully I will rally soon and a fountain of fresh ideas will spring forward.  The first step is admitting I have a problem.  Now that we have that admission out of the way I am trying to determine the root cause for the idea deficit.  I think it is either concern over the debt ceiling or that I am over 18 hours behind in watching Harry Potter movies.

I’m pretty sure I’m not the first person to run into this problem.  In fact, while researching today’s drink the Peter Pan Cocktail, I ran into someone else who seemingly suffered a similar fate.  His name is Jerry and he has (had?) a blog called Drinking With Jerry that is pretty much the same concept as TBIAW (with the same inspiration).  His version of the Peter Pan Cocktail is the same as ours, too with gin, dry vermouth, orange juice, and bitters.  He thought it tasted like “shampoo” but we didn’t.  We didn’t love it, but it was decent even though it contained dry vermouth.  Mrs. Bottle pointed out that gin seems to have a better relationship with vermouth than other liquors do. I think it is because gin is so delicious it can make anything taste good.  In this case it allowed the drink to be more palatable than one might think.  The orange juice probably helped as well. We both felt that the Peter Pan Cocktail had potential to grow on you if you gave it enough time and if you leave your window open.

  
Not Jerry
img: http://pixyland.org/peterpan/

Speaking of time, it looks like Jerry’s blog was pretty time-consuming.  He clearly went to a lot of effort in his photography and I have to say that the design of his blog is nice.  The pictures are certainly more interesting than our “drink with a black background and occasionally a lame prop” motif.  He had initially been writing a few sentences with each drink but that ended after April 21 and on May 19 he stopped his blog for good.  Maybe the time commitment got to be too much.  Maybe the fact that no one was voting on his drinks made him frustrated. Perhaps his lack of Facebook fans frustrated him (the same as TBIAW!!).  I don’t know Jerry, but I don’t want to think that he just gave up.  Quitting is not cool.  I prefer to imagine that he is dead


Overall Rating for the Peter Pan Cocktail




Taste: 3
Presentation: 4 – It has a faerie!
Ease of Preparation: 4
Drinks Until Blackouts: 7 – 19% Alcohol

Ingredients

.75 oz Gin
.75 oz Dry Vermouth
.75 oz Orange Juice
2 dashes Bitters

2 comments:

Jerry said...

Don't want to disappoint but Jerry (me) from DrinkWithJery.com is still alive! I haven't given up and haven't missed a single day. I'm still drinking a different drink everyday and taking pictures. But I'm a "little" behind on my blog (about two months.) Been traveling and recently moved... excuses...excuses...

I still think the Peter Pan Cocktail tastes like shampoo (maybe too much vermouth, more gin next time.)

My drink today is going to be a "Soap Opera Special" - Hopefully I'll get it posted on the blog before the end of the year ;)

Bottle Wonderland said...

Jerry! Glad you are still among the living. Please let us know when your are back to blogging and we will be there.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...