Monday, February 28, 2011

Day 52: Brown Sugar

Today we have the Caramel Apple shooter, a combination of an ounce of 99 Apples liqueur and two ounces of butterscotch schnapps.  It is supposed to be served in a chilled shot glass.  Even in our enormous collection of various logoed glasses not one can hold three ounces. I’m not sure who has Brobdingnagian shot glasses large enough to hold that much. We were forced to upgrade to a cordial glass. As a rabid rule-follower it stresses me out to deviate from the instructions.  On the upside, it allowed me to make two Gulliver’s Travels references in three days.   Keep your eyes peeled for future mentions of Glubbdubdrib.


Failures, All

Doesn't Look
Like Caramel, Either
When someone offers me a drink called the Caramel Apple, I would expect it to either taste like caramel or apple.  Ideally it would taste like both.  This drink didn’t really taste like either. The primary flavor was butterscotch and the apple was barely detectable. I don’t really know how you could have a 2:1 butterscotch to apple ratio and expect the flavor to be caramel.  Maybe the creators didn’t know there is a difference between butterscotch and caramel. The sorcerers of Glubbdubdrib (there it is!) would have known that for sure.

The final rating of this drink depends on how much of it you plan to consume.  On first taste, both Mrs. Bottle and I enjoyed the flavor even though it didn’t really taste that much like a caramel apple.  After a few sips we noticed something other than the misleading name was amiss.  The real problem with the Caramel Apple is that it was very sweet and a bit syrupy.  Mrs. Bottle gave up on it after a few small sips.  My sweet tooth allowed me to finish it even though the more of it I had, the less enamored I became.  That is also how I felt about James Franco’s performance at the Oscars last night.   

Overall Rating for the Caramel Apple



 
Taste: 3 – 4 if you pound it or make a smaller one
Presentation: 3
Ease of Preparation: 4
Drinks Until Blackout: 6 – 27% Alcohol


Ingredients

1 oz 99 Apples Flavored Schnapps
2 oz Butterscotch Schnapps

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...