Saturday, February 26, 2011

Day 50: Welcome to the Jungle Love (Oh we oh we oh)

Jungle Juice
Busted Cherry

I was excited when I found we were having Jungle Juice for today’s drink.  I pulled out the rubber garbage can and immediately started filling it with Everclear, Boone’s Farm Strawberry Hill “wine” and Hawaiian Punch.  I was looking for an oar or a shovel or something to stir it with when Mrs. Bottle gave me a dope slap and asked me what I was doing.  I tried to explain that I was making Jungle Juice but she pointed out that the Mr. Boston recipe just made one glass of the stuff.   If one glass is a jungle, it must be made of Bansai trees.

In my opinion, calling this Jungle Juice is akin to watching Avatar on an iPod Nano.  The only people who could legitimately say this a valid quantity of Jungle Juice all reside in Lilliput.  Once I finished complaining about the name, we decided to stick with our guiding principals and follow the Mr. Boston guide. Their recipe calls for vodka, rum, triple sec, simple syrup, lemon juice, cranberry juice, orange juice, and pineapple juice. The only absent juice is OJ Simpson, but he has an excuse.

Tiny bastards were after the juice!
This drink had the most ingredients of anything we have tried to date, but Mrs. Bottle handled them with aplomb.  She is like the Marie Curie of drink mixing, only less radioactive.  Once she had everything prepared we each sampled the drink.  I found the flavor was a bit lacking and Mrs. Bottle thought the primary taste component was alcohol.   It seemed impossible given the 27 ounces of fruit juice in the glass.

Just when I was ready to give up on Jungle Juice, Mrs. Bottle had a eureka moment: We should stir the drink! It was not unlike the moment Madame Curie discovered radium, only Mrs. Bottle’s idea had a more immediate benefit.  Suddenly the juice and alcohol blended together in a fruity and delicious nectar.  It went from boring to tasty, just like the new Jan Brady. 

Even though we liked the so-called Jungle Juice, we now have to drink a garbage can full of the real stuff. Just as soon as I find that oar.

Overall Rating for Jungle Juice




 
Taste: 4
Presentation: 4
Ease of Preparation: 2 – 1 Billion ingredients and tricky garnishes
Drinks Until Blackout: 7 – 16% Alcohol

Ingredients
1 oz Vodka
1 oz Rum
.5 oz Triple Sec
1 splash Simple Syrup
1 splash Lemon Juice
1 oz Cranberry Juice
1 oz Orange Juice
1 oz Pineapple Juice


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...