Monday, April 18, 2011

Drink 95: Another Freaking Orange Drink

Today's drink is the Orange Blossom, a combination of gin, orange juice, and simple syrup.  For mixed drinks we had been using Tangueray gin but we recently ran out.  We don't like to use our top shelf gins like Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray No. Ten with mixers  so we went with the gin we normally serve our guests: Seagram's.  According to their web site, Seagram's is "the best" so I don't feel at all bad about that.  It turns out that the Seagram's was fine and the Orange Blossom tasted good.  I had doubts that 1/4 teaspoon of simple syrup would even be noticeable, but it was. It added a sweetness that was ever so slight. One downside to the Seagram's was that it is only 80 proof whereas the Tanqueray that we had been using was 94.6 proof, making this drink a little weaker than it would have been a week ago.

These orange drinks are getting really boring
so we added a Lladró to give a little something
else for you to look at
That gave me an idea for today’s blog that I thought was going to be pretty good.  My plan was to show a chart of our ratings for “Drinks Until Blackout” (DUB) versus the actual alcohol content of the drinks.  I thought it would be hilariously inaccurate.  Unfortunately the DUB is consistent and today’s premise is ruined.  Sometimes being right all the time can be a curse.  



There are only a few drinks that don’t fall on the diagonal.  I have valid excuses for some of the outliers.  The Canal Street Daisy got a DUB rating of one, but it was because of the horrible taste, not the alcohol content.  The Southern Comfort Eggnong was our first drink so we didn’t know what we were doing.  I don’t really have an excuse for the Banana Bomber.  Perhaps there were sunspots.  The Ritz Fizz is probably the most embarrassing, since it was just yesterday.  The only explanation I have is that I was distracted when I was writing because Mrs. Bottle was out getting a massage at a spa while I was left here to provide my own happy ending.


Overall Rating for the Orange Blossom




Taste: 4
Presentation: 3
Ease of Preparation: 4
Drinks Until Blackout: 6 – 20% Alcohol

Ingredients
1 oz Gin
1 oz Orange Juice
.25 tsp Simple Syrup

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...