Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Drink 90X

Boston Gold Cocktail
Boston Orange is more like it
Last year Mrs. Bottle and I did P90X.  If you are not familiar with it, P90X is a torture system fitness program known for taking up 37% of all infomercial time slots over the last 5 years. They claim the program will allow you to “get absolutely ripped in just 90 days”.  The part that they leave out is that you are working out for between an hour and ninety minutes per day and your daily diet consists of protein powder, protein bars, and 13 peas.  In fairness, you can have 14 peas after the first month.

In all seriousness, P90X works.  I don’t think we got “absolutely ripped”, but we were certainly very fit by the end of the program.  Of course I imagine almost any program where you exercise that much and cut out junk food would produce similar results.  The downside is that since it is a 90-day program with a fixed end point, I had such a feeling of accomplishment when I finished that it felt like a closed chapter in my life.  It was pretty hard to keep going after that.  I managed to continue for another month or so, but eventually stopped it and quickly reverted from a ripped Adonis to a poorly defined Adonis.  I am happy to say that the change in muscle tone had no impact on my sex appeal.

Why am I bringing up P90X?  Because today is our 90th drink, the Boston Gold, a combination of vodka, crème de banana, and orange juice.  The other reason is that Mrs. Bottle and I also started P90X again this week.  This time we are modifying it quite a bit, but we are back to the diet and the exercise.  This has a little to do with a desire to be healthy and a lot to do with personal vanity.  When you are a bon vivant, appearances are important.   
Similar to my "Before" Picture
In the first phase of the P90X diet you only get one serving of fruit per day.  Mrs. Bottle used the Boston Gold to fulfill her fruit requirement, since it was mostly orange juice.  The vodka was her carb.  This made the Boston Gold a perfect complement to P90X.  It also tasted pretty good.  I got a hint of banana, but Mrs. Bottle couldn’t taste it.  In fact, it pretty much tasted like orange juice.   The P90X folks try to sell you a post-workout “recovery drink” but I think we will just have a Boston Gold instead.

I just hope that when we finish all 1,500 drinks in the Mr. Boston guide that it won’t seem like such an accomplishment that we stop drinking.  Probably not much danger of that happening.


Overall Rating for Boston Gold




Taste: 4
Presentation: 4
Ease of Preparation: 4
Drinks Until Blackout: 9 – 9% Alcohol

Ingredients
1 oz Vodka
0.5 oz Crème de Banana
4 oz Orange Juice

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...