Thursday, May 5, 2011

Drink 110: The Fifth of May


English Highball Cocktail
As Mexican as
apple pie
 ¡Hola! Today is Cinco de Mayo, the holiday where you eat fajitas and drink margaritas.  Unless you are actually Mexican, then you probably ignore it.  Since we are not Mexican, we wanted to celebrate this fine holiday in the TBIAW way.  Therefore we decided to drink a traditional Cinco de Mayo favorite, the English Highball. You may be saying to yourself, “Self, I don’t understand why the English Highball is a traditional Mexican drink.”  All I can say to you is that I’m sorry you don’t understand.

After Mrs. Bottle prepared the English Highball I was pretty excited.  It looked delicious, with the color and fizz of cream soda and a nice lemon twist.  Mrs. Bottle was not excited.  I asked her why and she said, “I know what the ingredients are.”  I took that as a bad sign..  It turns out that the English Highball is made from gin, brandy, sweet vermouth, and club soda (or ginger ale). Once I found out it had both sweet vermouth and club soda, I was no longer excited.

I'd like to solve, Pat
source
It turns out that the lack of excitement was justified; The English Highball is truly awful.  The sweet vermouth was the primary flavor with a slight brandy undertone.   As if that combination was not bad enough, the club soda just made it taste watered-down and even worse.  I think ginger ale might have improved the taste but in reality this drink was probably beyond help.  I have no idea why they love it so much in Mexico.  The next time I am there I will be sure to ask someone.

Overall Rating for the English Highball




Taste: 1
Presentation: 4
Ease of Preparation: 4 – Lemon twist away from a 5
Drinks Until Blackout: 9– 11% Alcohol

Ingredients

.75 oz Gin
.75 oz Brandy
.75 oz Sweet Vermouth
Club Soda or Ginger Ale

1 comment:

cdkuno said...

ignore it? Not Mexican-Americans. Having lived in a fairly heavily populated Mexican neighborhood in Denver before complete gentrification... Cinco De Mayo is definitely celebrated. You would think a Victory over the French would be considered just another day.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...