Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Day 9: The Big Red Stun

The Big Red Hooter sounds like some kind of demon owl, but it is in fact our next drink.  It is made with tequila, amaretto, pineapple juice, and grenadine.  I have to say that on paper, that does not look like a good combination.  In drink form it did not taste like a good combination.  I thought it was just going to be a terrible combination of the tequila flavor and amaretto.  It actually turned out to be cloyingly sweet and virtually undrinkable.  You couldn't even taste the delicious Herradura.  Mrs. Bottle had about two sips and then made herself a vodka tonic.
Protip: Do not do a Google image search for “Big Red Hooter” with safe search off.  You will see some things you can’t un-see.  Now back to the blog.
Big Red Hooter DrinkOur more loyal reader will notice that  almost every drink contains grenadine. Unfortunately this one is no exception. I’ve had more grenadine in the last 10 days than I’ve had in my entire prior life.  I hope the Center for Science in the Public Interest does not declare that grenadine causes cancer or I might as well start planning my funeral now.  Luckily I already have a casket kit on my Amazon.com wish list.

Many times the grenadine is just adding a touch of sweetness and maybe some color. There is an ounce of grenadine in the Big Red Hooter.   That is a lot.  Too much.  A thorough TBIAW investigation has revealed that the grenadine ruined the drink.  

At least it looked pretty. 

Rating on a 10 point scale:

Taste: 3 – Mrs. Bottle thought it might make a decent shooter
Ease of Preparation: 9
Presentation: 7
Drinks until sugar coma: 3 – 10% alcohol and 90% sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...