Friday, March 4, 2011

Day 56: Where No Ale Has Gone Before

Galactic Ale Cocktail
As blue as an Andorian's blood
Mrs. Bottle here covering today’s drink, the Galactic Ale. I believe many folks might also refer to it as Romulan Ale. To avoid further possible confusion, I’m not referring to a pale lager produced in San Salvador that surprisingly did not receive high marks from the Beer Advocate. No, it is the ale illegally consumed by members of the Starship Enterprise, as well as other inhabitants of the Star Trek universe. My guess is that if the pages of Mr. Boston contained a drink called Romulan Ale, copyright issues would ensue. Hence we have the royalty-free Galactic Ale.

Let me say that I begged Mr. Bottle to allow me to report on this beverage. And by beg I mean that I asked if I could write it up and he said “of course”. I do love me some good Star Trek TV shows and movies. I believe this is a learned behavior. You see, my parents were avid watchers of the original Star Trek series. They even reportedly left their wedding reception early to watch a new episode airing that evening (that’s what I’ve been told and I choose to believe that’s how they spent their wedding night). We also watched countless re-airings of the show while sitting at our TV trays every evening for dinner.

I thought I knew these shows inside and out until Mr. Bottle recently received the Blu-ray box set for Christmas. Holy wow, the first season was really slow, choppy, and I’ve found them to be the perfect cure for sleeplessness. That said, nothing beats William Shatner’s dramatic rendition of Captain Kirk. I … must … re … examine … his … performance … in …T.J. … Hooker!

Thinking about Kirk, I imagine his reaction after drinking the Galactic Ale, a shooter combining vodka, blue Curaçao, lime juice, and black raspberry liqueur. I’m sure he would say “This is very blue, tasty and lightly fruity with a slight raspberry flavor. Not a big alcohol taste, so that’s a plus. Now Spock, go mind-meld the bad guy, Dr. McCoy, check my vitals, and Yeoman Janice or Green Lady, kiss me now!!”

Khaaan you bring me another one?

To sum it all up, I’m pretty sure you’ll live long and prosper after consuming large quantities of this delicious blue libation.

Overall Rating for Galactic Ale

Taste: 4
Presentation: 5 – Bluuuuuue!
Ease of Preparation: 4
Drinks Until Blackout: 5 –  24% alcohol


Ingredients

.75 oz Vodka
.75 oz Blue Curaçao
.5 oz Lime Juice
.25 oz Black Raspberry Liqueur

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...