Friday, March 25, 2011

Day 75: Silence Is Not Golden

I think that Mrs. Bottle and I are getting used to drinking these horrible drinks.  The last time we gave a drink a rating of one was on day 48 which is just over a month ago.  Never mind that 75-48=27, just trust me that it has been a month since we have rated anything a one.  I don’t know if TBIAW is suffering from grade inflation or if our palates are getting more refined.  I suppose a third option is that our taste buds are shutting down as a defense mechanism.
Silent Third Cocktail
The third of the glass that is empty is the silent third
The more astute of you may suspect that I am bringing this up is because our latest drink the Silent Third is going to get a rating of one.  Would we ever have a set-up that was so completely obvious?  The answer is a resounding “yes”.  The Silent Third is our fourth drink with Scotch and the third that has earned a one.  The other one rated a two.  We have had better luck with Irish whiskey and bourbon so it seems that not all whisk(e)ys earn ones. I think we may have discovered that having Scotch in a drink and the drink having a poor rating are highly correlated.  We know that correlation doesn’t equal causation, but in this case it does.

Another bad third
Besides Scotch, the Silent Third also contains triple sec and lemon juice.  I don’t know if it was a lack of will or a lack of ability, but the additional ingredients couldn’t help.  The Scotch overwhelmed them and made the drink taste odd. Mrs. Bottle thought it tasted like feet. She also didn’t understand why anybody would drink Scotch on purpose.  She said a few other witty comments about how terrible the drink was but I didn’t write them down and now I can’t remember them.  Sadly, I do remember what the Silent Third tasted like.



Aha! Scotch ruined Superman III, too!
 
Overall Rating for the Silent Third




Taste: 1
Presentation: 3
Ease of Preparation: 4
Drinks Until Blackout: 5 – 25 % Alcohol

Ingredients

2 oz Scotch Whisky
1 oz Triple Sec
1 oz Lemon Juice

1 comment:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...