Thursday, June 2, 2011

Drink 129: Greyed Expectations

Greyhound Cocktail
Shouldn't this be
called a Pinkhound?
Today we have the Greyhound, a highball made from gin and grapefruit juice.  This drink holds a special place in my heart.  Back in the early 90’s, my roommate suggested that we head to a bar on the day before my 21st birthday.  I disconnected my AOL and we caught the bus downtown to a local watering hole. When the clock struck midnight, I asked him to recommend a drink. He chose the Greyhound, making it the first alcoholic beverage I ever legally consumed.  In case my parents are reading this, it was also the first alcoholic beverage I ever consumed. As far as they know.

Our previous drinks with grapefruit juice have not been that great.  Mrs. Bottle was convinced that the Donald Duck brand grapefruit juice was the culprit.  She may have a case considering that the juice doesn’t expire until 2012.  That seems like a long time for juice. That isn’t necessarily bad, though.  I will put some in my food warehouse and it will be a good source of vitamin C during the zombie apocalypse.

Unbeknownst to me, Mrs. Bottle went out and bought some expensive juice that expires in a couple of weeks in an effort to improve the odds of a tasty drink.   Clearly she fails to see that a licensed character enhances the taste of any food. I will admit that the expensive juice worked, though.  The Greyhound was very tasty. The gin and grapefruit make a nice combination.  I should probably put some gin in the food warehouse, too.  Just in case.
Just add Donald Duck grapefruit juice.
And gin
img:afgen.com

Overall Rating for the Greyhound




Taste: 4
Presentation: 4
Ease of Preparation: 5
Drinks Until Blackout: 11 – 9% Alcohol

Ingredients

1.5 oz Gin
5 oz Grapefruit Juice

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...