Thursday, June 9, 2011

Drink 136: I've Got Pals in Medium Places

Old Pal Cocktail
Purty!

I do not like whiskey.  I do not like sweet vermouth. I do not like grenadine.  Luckily for me today’s drink the Old Pal Cocktail is a combination of whiskey, sweet vermouth, and grenadine.  If an old pal said he was going to make me a drink with those ingredients, I would punch him square in the neck and question our palship.  Since it was served to me not by an old pal but by Mrs. Bottle, I just thanked her and gave her a little smooch on the cheek.

That turned out to be the right move, because this drink was actually tolerable and I would have felt like a real fool if I had punched Mrs. Bottle in the neck. I guess the sweetness of the grenadine somehow countered both the harshness of the rye and the general unpleasantness of the sweet vermouth.  Two wrongs don’t make a right, but I guess three wrongs can add up to a mediocre cocktail. I can’t explain why that is, but I will have to accept it.  Accepting mediocrity will also be helpful skill for anyone reading this post.  If you can't accept it, just close your eyes and wait for it to be over.  Mrs. Bottle will give you pointers on how to do that in a future post.




Overall Rating for the Old Pal Cocktail




Taste: 3
Presentation: 5
Ease of Preparation: 4
Drinks Until Blackout: 4 –  27% Alcohol

Ingredients

1.5 oz Rye Whiskey
0.5 oz Sweet Vermouth
0.5 oz Grenadine




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...