Sunday, June 5, 2011

Drink 132: Blogger’s Block


Purple Passion Tea Cocktail
Actual appearance of
the Purple Passion Tea
I have run out of ideas for blog posts.  I know this because I have been staring at the blinking cursor for an hour while “The Devil’s Advocate” plays on a TV on the background.  In retrospect, I should have put the TV on a different channel since Keanu Reeves’ “southern” accent in that movie could distract anyone.  Even Kevin Costner thought it sucked. The other problem is that all of the obvious angles for our latest drink the Purple Passion Tea have been covered, forcing me to come up with something original.  TBIAW readers know that is not my strong suit. 

The first problem is the drink’s color. The PPT has “purple” right in the name, but the drink is yellow.  Unfortunately (for me), Mrs. Bottle already covered miscolored (is that a word?) drinks in her Purple Hooter review. Next, this drink tasted nothing like tea, but we have also covered drinks that taste nothing like their namesakes a few times, too.  I even already used the word “namesake” in one of those posts.  Counting this sentence I have written “namesake” four times in 2011, raising my lifetime total to four.




Yellow Passion Tea Cocktail
Expected appearance of
the Purple Passion Tea
Here is where I normally list the ingredients.  I wrote that last sentence to pad the entry a bit.  I hope you didn’t notice. The Purple Passion Tea is made with vodka, rum, gin, black raspberry liqueur, simple syrup, lemon juice, and lemon-lime soda.  You might think that with four different types of alcohol that it would be strong, but you would be wrong.  There is less than a shot of alcohol total, which would be weak in any drink, but it is especially so when you also have seven ounces of sugar, juice, and sugar juice (otherwise known as soda).

As far as flavor, this drink was way too sweet.  I actually thought the first sip was pretty good, but as we continued to drink it, the sweetness became overwhelming.  It was also a little thick and had a syrup-like mouth feel.  It was so cloying that adding additional soda actually cut down on the sweetness.  In fact, it was so sweet that it may have put me into a sugar coma leaving me unable to form blog ideas.  Yes, that must be it.

Overall Rating for the Purple Passion Tea




Taste: 3
Presentation: 0 – Would be a 5 if it was called the Yellow Passion Tea
Ease of Preparation: 1
Drinks Until Blackout: 33 –  5% Alcohol

Ingredients

0.25 oz Vodka
0.25 oz Rum
0.25 oz Gin
0.5 oz Black Raspberry Liqueur
2 oz Simple Syrup
2 oz Lemon Juice
3 oz Lemon-lime Soda



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...