Sunday, June 12, 2011

Drink 139: Ice, Ice, Melty

Frozen Citron Neon Cocktail
Despite the book's
insistence, we do not
own a parfait glass
Mrs. Bottle here on a gorgeous Sunday morning to discuss today’s lucky drink of the day. The winning drink is the Frozen Citron Neon which is made with citrus-flavored vodka, melon liqueur, blue Curaçao, lime juice, lemon juice and simple syrup. A veritable bevy of ingredients that Mr. Bottle and I both thought was pretty tasty. Since it’s been quite hot lately (yesterday registered 183 degrees on my internal thermometer), it seemed appropriate to have what Mr. Boston calls a “FROZEN drink”.

Let me digress for a few moments about frozen drinks. I do like a nice icy concoction on a hot summer’s day, even the non-alcoholic kind. My one issue with these drinks that are made with crushed ice and blended into a smooth consistency is that they really don’t get to that smooth consistency unless everything melts before you finish. Take a Starbucks Frappucino. It’s all yummy with the coffee flavor and syrupy goodness until you get close to the end. Then it’s all bland ice with coffee-flavored remnants because those big chunky ice bits can’t get up the straw and they’re left behind to wallow in watered down coffee mixture. I have actually resorted to a system for drinking my Fraps where I take 2.75 hours to consume each one so any big chunks have melted. This means that at the end I’m just drinking iced coffee so maybe I should just order those from now on. Anyway, just take this whole diatribe and apply to any frozen drink, especially if you hate coffee.

That’s a nice segue into the next part of today’s story. From the picture you can tell that the name of this drink was pretty accurate. Neon, it is. But when I think of neon, it takes me back to one of the best cars ever made in America. That’s right, the Dodge Neon. Sadly, Chrysler stopped making the Neon on September 23, 2005 and I don’t think there’s been a nicer looking car made since then. Except maybe the Aston Martin Vanquish. It’s almost too close to call because the Neon is one unique automobile. Plus, apparently you can do quite a lot to a Neon to make it even snazzier.

"Snazzy" is the first word that comes to mind when I see this
img: automotive-insight.net
And speaking of snazzy, I would definitely recommend the Frozen Citron Neon. It’s got a great color and is one super cool drink. Pun totally intended.

Overall Rating for the Frozen Citron Neon



 
Taste: 4
Presentation: 5
Ease of Preparation: 3
Drinks Until Blackout: 11 – 8% Alcohol if you wait for all the ice to melt

Ingredients

1½ oz Citrus-flavored Vodka
1 oz Melon Liqueur
½ oz Blue Curaçao
½ oz Lime Juice
½ oz Lemon Juice
½ oz Simple Syrup

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...